Thursday, May 2, 2013

How One International Health Insurance Plan Reduces Risk For International Workers


Combine the thought of "international health insurance" and not having my cup of jo from Brewed Awakening Coffee Hut around the corner of my home here in Washington State and I was already having second thoughts about living in a remote village out in East Africa just 2 months from now.

But today I have fixed the concerns I had about international health insurance because I took out the BUPA career plan. Two things that concerned me were unlimited coverage in the US and maternity coverage. BUPA solved those two issues as well as being a top international health insurance plan based out of the UK. BUPA stands for British United Provident Association.

Maternity is a concern for us since most plans have a 12 month waiting period. BUPA only has a 10 month waiting period before full maternity benefits kick in. Now my wife and I are smiling!

Sure, the maternity coverage cost is not much overseas but what happens if something dreadful occurs to my wife and baby during the pregnancy and birth? We want to make sure our health insurance will take care of everything including the unforeseen things that may happen. We pray it doesn't, but as Mom used to say "When you don't use your head, you'll have to use your feet." And I don't fancy work that can be avoided if I had only first used my head.

Then my other concern is what if I get sick in East Africa? So sick that I have to come back Stateside for good and am not able to get US individual health care? Most international health insurance plans have to follow US federal law of 6 months of US coverage during a 12 month policy period and once I do not meet this US government law I am literally a cup of hot water, sugar and cream without the "jo."

The neat thing about the two BUPA career plans is that they have unlimited coverage in the US which means I have peace of mind in case something terrible happens to me. I will not be stranded without health insurance in the US.

With my international health insurance issues solved, the barista at Brewed Awakening solved my other problem by handing me a few pounds of their beautiful, aroma filled coffee beans. Now East Africa doesn't seem so frightening anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment