Ever wondered why it is so hard to lose weight, shape up and get rid of that unwanted tummy fat? Do you feel self-conscious, frustrated and unsure how to get back in shape? Then check out my 10 helpful tips to get rid of tummy fat fast.
1. Correct Nutrition - This may sound all too familiar, but a balanced diet, with enough fresh fruit, vegetables, carbohydrate and protein is critical for good health and weight management. Yet so often, when fat-fighting with fad diets it's all too easy to lose sight of the nutrition basics that really work. You can lose stomach fat healthily - just by eating the right foods more often.
2. Body Shape - Women's bodies vary enormously and come in every size and shape. What's important, however, is recognising and accepting your inherent shape, then toning to target problem areas. You can't alter your fundamental body shape, but you can get rid of tummy fat and hone the wobbly bits, feeling better about your body all round - you can make significant improvements to your silhouette. Consider these three archetypal shapes: apple, pear and runner bean. One way to ascertain which you are, if you're not already aware, is to ask yourself which areas of your body are most difficult to spot-reduce - tell-tale areas include the backs of the arms, cellulite on the thighs and bottom (pear), chubby tummy fat and waist (apple) or, for the runner bean, a lack of curves.
3. Power Walking - Get rid of tummy fat through power walking - this helps to melt away unwanted fat as it raises your metabolic rate, boosting your body's calorie-burning potential. Start by power walking for 20 minutes at a time, three times a week. And remember, the more you walk, the more energy you'll have. All you need to do is plan your route then get started - and believe me, once you get going, you'll love the stimulus to your mind and body.
4. Age - The reason you may find it harder to get rid of tummy fat as you get older is down to changes in your basal metabolic rate (bmr). This drops by 2 per cent for every decade of your life. Also, you lose 3.2kg (7lb) of lean body mass with every decade, which is replaced by fat. Therefore, as you get older you need to change what you do to stay fit, slim and toned - you need to do more exercise to turn back the clock.
5. Surgery - Abdominoplasty, or simply, a tummy tuck, is getting popular nowadays. A lot of people want to get that perfect abs without the effort. If you want to undergo such a procedure, it is important that you consult and discuss with a medical expert what you can expect during and after the procedure.
6. Exercises - Apart from doing cardio for 20 to 30 minutes a day to burn calories, tummy exercises will increase the number of calories you burn away. When you are in better shape, you will feel stronger, and are able to exercise more intensely for longer periods of time, thus increasing your tummy fat-burning capabilities. Incorporating tummy exercises, such as sit-ups and crunches, to your basic cardio regimen will help strengthen your core. A stronger core, or midsection, will help you to build lean muscle mass. It is this lean muscle that helps you losing tummy fat faster.
7. Sleep - Recent studies have shown that if you're sleep deprived, you're less likely to reduce weight. Lack of sleep affects the hormones that control appetite, making you hungry. Studies have shown that, on average, people who are overweight are those who tend to get the least amount of sleep. Health professionals recommend around 8 hours a night.
8. Attitude - In the willpower culture of sport and fitness, the influence of our emotional patterns can often be neglected. We can be guilty of sabotaging our own efforts because it is easier to put other people first or because we lack confidence in ourselves. It's therefore vital to care for your emotions as you would care for your body - allow yourself time for goal-setting and make sure you reward your efforts.
9. Postnatal - Getting rid of tummy fat and into shape after having a baby need not be a struggle, even when time for yourself and sleep are limited. Postnatal exercises benefit your mind and body, promoting better posture, less muscle tension, more relaxation and, above all, abdominal muscle tone. There are a lot of people who have been keeping a flat tummy all their life and enjoy a slim profile. But in times of pregnancy, your body figure can drastically change, making it harder to lose stomach fat. How can you prevent the pregnant tummy look and lose tummy fat after giving birth? Pregnancy is a very sensitive stage in a woman's life, therefore it is important to consult your doctor frequently and ask them if you can do a certain exercise and until what stage of your pregnancy you can do so. If you would like to know more, I have also reviewed The Fit Yummy Mummy system for losing tummy fat after having kids, which you may find interesting and helpful.
10. Equipment - Plan for working out and losing tummy fat by gathering the clothes and gear you need to help you feel motivated and look good. Getting organised in advance helps to reconfirm your commitment to yourself and increases the chances that you will get rid of tummy fat and to keep it off.