Friday, September 20, 2013

Help! I'm Pregnant and Constipated


With my first pregnancy I was so paranoid about every thing so I ended up being really careful not to get constipated. However, with my second, I was more preoccupied, with a toddler, and so I found myself constipated on more then one occasion.

If you are like I was and suffering from constipation while pregnant then I may be of assistance to you. There are things you can do to help, however, it is better to do them before you get constipated rather then waiting until you are.

1. Eat high-fiber foods. Fruits, vegetables and certain cereals are high in fiber. I also purchase Wheat Germ and Bran and added it to just about everything I ate including cheeseburgers, meatloaf, eggs and cereal. Normally adding 1-2 tsp to an egg or two is plenty and will keep constipation at bay.

2. Water, water, and more water. During pregnancy so many women neglect drinking water. I understand, having the bathroom become you main scenery is not fun, so cutting back on fluid intake seems like the right thing to do. However, it isn't, not only will it cause constipation but by not drinking enough fluid your bladder will actually weaken and then cause you to go more often.

3. Exercise can also be very helpful. Getting regular exercise can help your bowels work properly. If you feel like you need to go, taking a walk can sometimes help.

4. Do not take laxatives unless your doctor has okay-ed it. Laxatives can cause stomach cramps which can send you into preterm labor. If you need something over the counter to help then try a stool softener. If you are really desperate talk to your physician, he may have you take a light laxative and stay for observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment