Exercise is very important generally but especially so when we are trying to conceive. Moderate exercises can increase fertility because it reduces stress and restores hormonal balance. Exercise also releases endorphins, which makes you feel good. Exercise is most important if you are obese, because obesity can cause insulin resistance which in turn inhibits ovulation. Exercising half an hour, three times a week can help improve fertility. This said, we should not over-exercise either, because this can hamper fertility instead of aid it.
There are many reasons why yoga is an ideal form of exercise for women who are trying to get pregnant:
1. It is a gentle form of exercise. Unlike rigorous exercises, you feel rejuvenated instead of exhausted after a good session.
2. Focussing on the breath can promote deep relaxation. Yoga reduces stress and anxiety by relaxing tight muscles and reducing the release cortisol, a stress-related hormone.
3. Yoga helps the body to detoxify and promotes general well-being. It triggers your body's own healing capacity.
4. Yoga increases blood supply to the reproductive organs. It strengthens the muscles in the reproductive area.
5. It can be done with your partner to strengthen your relationship.
6. Yoga can correct hormonal imbalance.
7. It promotes mental and emotional health. The quiet time to yourself will help you to control your negative thoughts and find deep inner peace. Yoga can even be a spiritual experience for some.
8. Certain yoga positions practised after sex may improve the chances of conception by keeping the sperm inside the vaginal canal for a longer time. Especially recommended is the "Legs Up On The Wall" pose. Basically, as the name of the poses suggests, lie down near the wall and put your legs up against it. Support your buttocks with some pillows if needed.
Although it is not impossible to learn yoga from books or videos, it is much more effective to join a class. This is because your instructor can correct your poses if necessary and this is especially beneficial for beginners.