Juggling a newborn, household, career and your own health can seem like a three-ringed circus when you're a modern Mom. Losing the pregnancy weight can seem like the last thing on the list but always the first thing on your mind.
It's so easy to get greasy take out or ready to eat meals instead of cooking something healthy but if you do have to snack try these six power foods.
1. Spinach - Popeye didn't rely on this powerhouse veggie for no reason. Spinach is rich with nutrients like vitamin C and K plus Iron and Folic acid. Spinach does wonders for strengthening your muscles and bones with its Calcium content and its Lutein is said to prevent cancer and eye deterioration. Make spinach tasty by adding it to your omelet with some feta and tomatoes.
2. Almonds - Nothing beats a handful of almonds to help lose the pregnancy weight. They are a good source of a fiber and protein as well as a great place to get your "good" fats. (Almonds fats are monounsaturated and they help lower your cholesterol.) Eating them plain works best but if you want that extra kick toast them a bit and add some sea salt.
3. Blueberries - Boost your immune system the natural way with a bowl of blueberries. Eating these tasty berries is one of the finest ways to get your antioxidants. Blueberries also have a good source of vitamin C and B plus Potassium and Zinc. Add them to cereal in the morning or your protein smoothie in the afternoon.
4. Avocados - Another wonderful antioxidant, avocados will help lose the pregnancy weight fast. The vital vitamin E will help clear up your skin and avocados have more than double the amount of Potassium than bananas do. My favorite way to eat them is mashed up with some lemon juice, tomatoes, onions and spices in a guacamole.
5. Oatmeal - This may look like a heavy breakfast staple but oatmeal can help you trim your tummy faster. Oatmeal, a fantastic source of fiber, also lowers your cholesterol making it invaluable to your diet. If you aren't a fan of eating it cooked in a bowl try baking the oats into healthy cookies or breakfast bars.
6. Peanut Butter - The peanut butter and jelly staple in your childhood might have been the best thing you ate as a kid. Peanut butter is a brilliant source of protein and it's a good way to get your Magnesium, which helps with building bones. I love peanut butter with a banana but its also good with honey on toast.
No matter which of the six snacks you choose to eat, remember that to lose the pregnancy weight effectively you still have to exercise. Incorporate your healthy snacks into a good physical fitness routine and you'll burn the baby fat in no time.