Friday, June 21, 2013

Pregnancy and Bed Rest: How Will It Help?


So, you've recently been informed by your doctor that you've been experiencing pregnancy complications and need to be put on immediate bed rest, but I'm here to tell you not to fret young mother. Pregnant women are put on bed rest all the time, and have been since the beginning of time. Consider yourself lucky that you're not living in the 1800s!

In an effort to clear up any misconceptions, concerns, or questions that you may have about your pregnancy complications, I've put together this little FAQ for you.

Q: Why was I put on bed rest?

A: Unfortunately, there are several reasons why your doctor might prescribe a nice, lengthy, stay in bed when you're pregnant. Rest assured, however, that all reasons are sound and will ensure you a healthy pregnancy.

Here are some of the complications that lead to bed rest:

繚 Premature Labor

繚 Vaginal Bleeding

繚 High Blood Pressure

繚 Gestational Diabetes

繚 Multiples

繚 History of Miscarriages

繚 Poor Fetal Development

繚 Placental Issues

繚 Cervical Incompetence

Q: Will being put on bed rest really help my pregnancy complications?

A: Absolutely; it's essential to ensure the normalization of whatever is currently going wrong. When you're stressed, straining yourself with work, or participating in activities that exert you, you're changing physical attributes of your body that might provoke unwanted side effects during pregnancy. Being pregnant, alone, is already a huge strain on your body.

Q: Should I be resting in any particular position?

A: Possibly. This is a question to bring up to your health care provider as your situation may dictate that you maintain a certain position while on bed rest. The best resting position is the "side-lying" position and definitely not on your back. Lying on your left side is optimal and best for circulation for you and baby. But you can also lie on your right side too.

Q: Bed rest sounds really uncomfortable; how do I best deal with that?

A: There are plenty of ways to soothe the sore muscles and aching joints that tend to accompany bed rest; however, you must be sure to clear anything and everything with your doctor.

Once you have the green light, here are a few things you can try:

繚 Change from side to side often; alleviate pressure and stimulate muscles

繚 Squeeze a stress ball!

繚 Turn your arms and feet in circles; get the blood moving

繚 Tighten muscles, then release; repeat

繚 Take an occasional warm bath in Epsom salts.

Through all exercises, be sure to avoid using your abdominal muscles, and again, please check with your doctor before trying any of these!

Q: What is the most important thing for me to do when I discover I'm going on bed rest?

A: In my opinion, the best thing that you can do for yourself is find out exactly what your limitations are. This is a conversation to be had with your doctor and you want to make sure you ask a lot of questions. You don't want to be doing less than you're able to do, and you certainly don't want to do more than you should be doing.

Here's a starter list of activities to ask your doctor about:

繚 Am I able to cook?

繚 Can I take care of light chores?

繚 Am I able to go for a walk?

繚 How should I handle bathing and showering?

繚 Can I drive?

繚 What forms of exercise can I perform?

繚 Am I able to have sexual intercourse?

Q: How will I ever survive the boredom of being stuck in bed all day?!

A: While I know it seems daunting, boring, and miserable, I'm here to tell you that bed rest can actually be a lot of fun! You can get a ton accomplished that I'm sure you haven't even considered yet.

Here are some great ideas for making the best of your pregnancy complications:

繚 Connect with Friends

繚 Create a Blog

繚 Make Baby Preparations

繚 Pack a Hospital Bag for the Big Day

繚 Make Medical Preparations

繚 Establish a Routine

繚 Catch Up on Organization

繚 Research Parenting

繚 Become a Tweeter

繚 Take a childbirth class online

Being pregnant shouldn't be an energy draining hassle; research as many ways as possible to make the best of your pregnancy complications!

No comments:

Post a Comment