Sunday, March 31, 2013

Postnatal Depression - The Best 6 Treatments That Worked For Me


Postnatal depression is one of the most common ailments of new mothers. Feelings of worthlessness, despair, sadness, or even causing harm to yourself or newborn are several of the symptoms. I dealt with postnatal depression myself and here are the top six things that helped me through my hard time:

Building a Support Group: I didn't bottle up my emotions. I spoke to those that I trusted around me about what I was going through and allowed them to offer their advice. My husband, mother, and sister where the ones who where always their for me in the past and they helped me tremendously

Breathing Exercises/Meditation - I came across a book that detailed some breathing exercises in it. It was really helpful to just sit with my thoughts and for a few moments a day be at peace with myself. Natural Remedies- There are a sleuw of natural remedies that you can look into. They can be found in books and online journals. The one the helped me the most was St. John's Wort, it has been known to act as a natural anti-depressant for thousands of years.

My Doctor - Checking in with my doctor gave me piece of mind. I was able to tell him how I was feeling and he assured me that It was as normal as it could be and offer prescription medications if I felt I wanted to go down that path, I didn't. He also checked my thyroid, often times a over or under active thyroid can produce effects similar to that of postnatal depression.

Rest - It was hard to get good rest with a newborn in the house. Once my husband got home from work it I put him on baby duty and got a good 1 hour nap in. These quick naps allowed me to recharge my batteries and feel a lot better on a daily basis. Hey Einstein was known as a habitual napper and he was one of the most brilliant minds of our time.

Reading - I read everything about this disease. I knew it inside and out, and this greatly helped me overcome it completely.I am a firm believer in the idea that you cannot defeat your ailments if you do not know what they are doing to you.

These are the top six things that helped me overcome my postnatal depression. I hope that they can put you on the right track to defeating your disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment