Most people experience a break up at some point in their lives. The feelings of sadness and loss can be very significant and effect many areas of life and functioning. Sometimes, symptoms persist and can become full blown depression. Lingering sadness, anxiety, lethargy, loss of joy in activities, changes in sleep and eating habits - these can be symptoms of depression that should be addressed. It is very important to take good care of yourself during this difficult time. Here are 5 strategies to help you get over the depression of a break up:
1. Eat well and healthy. Steer clear of junk foods and processed sugars, and eat mostly fruit, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. If you have trouble with your appetite, try carrying around healthy snack foods to eat throughout the day. If the opposite is true and you overeat, try limiting your intake to meals, and be sure you aren't eating while distracted, like in front of the TV. Set a time to stop eating in the evening.
2. Try taking supplements. It is always advisable to consult your health care provider before trying new supplements. A food based multivitamin is a good start, as well as calcium if you need additional calcium, and fish oil. Fish oil has many physical benefits including the promotion of healthy brain function. L-theanine is a good anti-anxiety natural supplement, and 5 HTP (hydroxytryptophan) is a helpful natural antidepressant that increases serotonin, a mood regulating brain neurotransmitter.
3. Exercise regularly. Consult your physician to determine the appropriate level of physical activity for you, then adopt a regular cardiovascular-focused plan. This type of exercise releases endorphins into the body through the sustained elevation of heart rate. Try working up to 45 minutes 5 times a week. Not only will you feel better emotionally, but your physical health and body image will improve.
4. See a counselor to talk things out. Spend time with friends and family who can be supportive as well. A professional ear can be valuable and the feedback very beneficial. It may be helpful to have someone to help you sort out what went wrong in your relationship and how to avoid repeating future negative patterns in relationships.
5. Practice self care on a daily basis. Make a list of small things you enjoy dong and cross one off every day when you've completed it. Make new lists once old ones are exhausted.