Sunday, May 12, 2013

Infertility Testing - What is a HSG Procedure?


Many women more than ever are struggling with infertility. One infertility test in particular was the most nerve-wrecking for me. The HSG procedure or hysterosalpingogram procedure is used to view the uterine and fallopian health. In the end, it wasn't as bad as I made it to be in my mind. It is a simple procedure and can be very quick.

What does an HSG procedure detect?

Generally, the HSG Infertility test is used to detect abnormalities in your uterus or fallopian tubes. Dye is inserted into the uterus and it spreads throughout the fallopian tubes. The HSG dye will indicate any damage or blockages in your fallopian tubes. The dye will also highlight the shape of your uterus.

However, an HSG test can sometimes also indicate:

- uterine fibroids
- uterine polyps
- adhesions or scar tissue
- endometriosis

How long does this procedure take?

This procedure is an outpatient procedure and usually takes about an hour from preparation to finish. It is usually done by a radiologist. There is no sedation required, so you can drive yourself to and from the hospital where it takes place.

How soon can I get results back?

When I had the HSG procedure done, the radiologist told me that everything looked normal but that my doctor will go throughall the details once I meet with him. Many times you can get an overview of the results from this infertility test immediately. Once you meet with your doctor to discuss the results, he/she will then go over them in detail.

Does the HSG procedure hurt?

This infertility procedure does not hurt, but it causes a bit of discomfort, much like a menstrual cramp. You may experience mild cramping, bright red blood and/or dye after this procedure, but that is all normal. If you are having any of these side effects in excess please contact your care provider immediately.

The HSG infertility test procedure is nothing to feared. I did read some information on the internet that research shows women can be 30% more likely to get pregnant within 3 months after the procedure. In layman terms "cleaning out the cobwebs."

I support this research in that I got pregnant 7 days after this procedure.

One negative thing about this procedure is that it is considered infertility testing in which mostly all insurance companies do not cover. I ended up paying $900 for this procedure out of pocket. The sad thing is is that if my insurance covered it they probably would have had to pay only $400 because they had a contract with the hospital. I won't go into that tangent!!

No comments:

Post a Comment