Everyone's looking for natural cures for depression and why wouldn't you be? They offer hope of providing relief without the side-effects of anti-depressant medications, and they may even be able to treat the depression's underlying cause.
Let's take a look at 5 natural cures for depression:
1) Omega 3 Supplements: Omega 3 is a fatty acid that we have to get from our diets because our bodies can't make it. Many people living in the western society suffer from a deficiency of this fatty acid because of our poor diets and the way our food is produced. An omega 3 deficiency can be involved in depression, autism, Alzheimer's disease, violent behavior, obsessive compulsive disorder, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and postnatal depression. Omega 3 fish oil supplements can treat this deficiency.
2) L- Tryptophan or 5HTP: L-tryptophan and 5HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) are amino acids which help make serotonin in the body. It is believed that depression is caused in many cases by a serotonin deficiency. L-Tryptophan or 5HTP supplements may help raise your body's natural level of serotonin and therefore improve your mood.
3) Adrenal herbs: Adrenal herbs such as ginseng can also be used to treat depression. These types of herbs are most effective in those people that are suffering from depression because their adrenal glands are overworked, worn out or stressed out. If stress was or is a contributing factor in the onset of your depression you may need to get your adrenal gland's function tested and treated. Adrenal herbs are one way in which the adrenal glands can be supported.
4) SAMe: SAMe (S-adenosyl-methionine) is a molecule that is involved in a key process in the body known as methylation. Methylation is known to help balance neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. When the methylation cycle in the body is over or under active it can lead to depression, anxiety, panic attacks, addictions and suicidal tendencies. SAMe can help some people with depression that are 'undermethylators', but the problem is that it can have negative affects on those that have an overactive methylation cycle.
5) Remove foods from your diet that your are allergic or sensitive to: One often overlooked cause of depression is food allergies and sensitivities. By diagnosing those foods that you react to, and then removing these from your diet, it can alleviate or even cure your depression. Consider doing an elimination diet to find out what foods are affecting you. Alternatively, have a food allergy or sensitivity test performed.
So there's just a sample of the natural cures for depression that are available. I know it can be overwhelming choosing which natural supplement or strategy to take, not to mention time consuming, frustrating and expensive. Another problem with supplements is that if you don't take them at the right dose (even if they are the right supplement for you) they still might not work. So would you like some advice?
The fastest way to find effective treatments or cures for depression is finding out whether your depression has a physical or biochemical cause. Biochemical causes of depression are so often overlooked and doctors unfortunately don't spend the time ruling them all out. The great thing however is that once a physical cause of your depression has been discovered it can be treated specifically. For example, if you are found to have an omega 3 deficiency then an omega 3 supplement would be the best treatment to start with to help resolve your depression. For those that have a hormonal deficiency that is contributing to your depression, if you define what hormone is out of balance (thyroid, estrogen, testosterone etc.) you can then find the right herb or hormone medication to treat it.
Natural cures for depression can work. The biggest challenge however is finding out which one is right for you.